Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Another Prosper loan

After a couple months with no new loans at Prosper, I made a $50.00 transfer and bidded on a B-credit loan. It is currently at 32.00% with about a day and a half of bidding to go. I wanted to load up on a relatively risk-free loan, so I put a minimum rate of 19.99%. This way, I have a higher chance of getting it without diluting my average rate of return too much. If I don't get it, I'll just look for another lending opportunity.

Last I left off at Prosper I had $250.00 (now $300.00) invested with six active loans (one funded with money that was repaid). I currently have about $20.00 repaid again, so when it hits $50.00 again, I will reinvest and add another loan. I hope to continue to add more loans to increase the cash flow there. I'm still keeping a close eye on this Prosper situation. With Lending Club not accepting new lender applications, I'm wondering if Prosper can be sustainable. I've read an old article from when Prosper started that questioned whether the servicing fees are enough for Prosper to sustain themselves. Prosper started in February 13, 2006, so it's not even three years old yet. So none of the current lenders have had a loan mature yet.

I'm sure it'll be fine as it seems there is a continuous supply of loans and lenders that bid on them. As long as people continue to borrow and lend money, Prosper should be fine. And at the moment, I only have $300.00, so I'm not exactly losing my life savings if Prosper goes down.

No comments: